Happy September! Also, how is that possible?!?
Did you know that September is National Better Breakfast Month?? Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I’m always searching for healthier options. Plus, I’ve usually got bananas that are on the verge of going bad, so this recipe attacked both birds. I found it on Pinterest from Two Peas & Their Pod. They have great recipes that are simple to follow and DELISH so I highly recommend that you check them out. The original recipe called for almond milk, but we are a whole milk family so I used that instead. I’ll note the almond milk option below so you can try out whichever one you want.
Peanut Butter, Honey, & Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed (should be about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbs coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup milk (the original recipe called for almond milk)
- Optional topping: Turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan.
- Using a sifter, add all dry ingredients to a bowl, lightly whisk, and set aside.
- Using a mixer, combine mashed bananas, brown sugar, honey, coconut oil, egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add peanut butter and beat until smooth.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients mixture and milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full and top with turbinado sugar (totally optional). Bake 20-22 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
These muffins are so tasty!!! They’ve been a great option for on the go breakfasts now that the kiddo is back in school and my mornings are so much more hectic. Let me know what you think!